Sunday 21 August 2011

Why I selected Bioinformatics as the elective for MSc in Biomedical Informatics?


(Published in 2011)

After two semesters of MSc (Biomedical Informatics), the trainees were requested to select one of the four electives as the elective.

The available choices were


  • Public Health Informatics
  • Health Policy Group
  • IT for medical informatics
  • Bioinformatics.

It was difficult to select one, at least between public health informatics and bioinformatics.

I have no intention of taking IT for Medical Education as that was not of my choice. I have no good liaison or communication skills to join the policy group. Hence, the choices were limited to Public Health Informatics and Bioinformatics. As I had designed several medical software, I thought Public Health Informatics will be easy for me. I was also interested in genetics. It was one of the rapidly developing fields in science, where miracles are expected in a not so distant future.

Most of the Bioinformaticians are from the field of mathematics, IT or statistics background. It will be difficult to compete with them in case of developing new tools or algorithms for bioinformatics, yet I like challenges.

Finally, I thought there is a place for me I Bioinformatics and Bioinformatics has a place for me. So I am doing bioinformatics as my elective.

No comments:

Post a Comment